I am from NSW and I was hesitant the information provided in Sounder Skills 2 wouldn't apply directly to my angling area. I was wrong! Plenty of good anglers would benefit from this course. I’ve been using a sounder for over 30 and Sounder Skills 2 has already improved my angling! Sounder Skills 2 is well worth the investment!
I love Sounder Skills 2. It covers all aspects of using the sounder and we get some great advice. I wish that I had viewed it before I purchased my sounder. Keep up the good work! In my opinion, everybody should view this course before they buy a new sounder for their boat.
Sounder Skills 2 makes practical sense of a complicated topic. There is so little actual information on real world use of Fish Finders, but Sounder Skills 2 has it all! I also enjoy the Inner Circle study group, it's interesting hearing other people's viewpoints and questions. Here's 9.4kg Snapper I caught using the skills I learnt from the course, looking for areas that should hold fish rather than where I have caught them in the past.
Over 18,000 anglers from 60+ Countries have done our Fish Finder courses!
WHAT OUR STUDENTS SAY...
Don't just take it from us - here are some student experiences.
WHAT EXACTLY IS
“SOUNDER SKILLS 2”?
Sounder Skills 2 is a video-based self-study training program that shows you step-by-step, how to understand the practical use of your fish finder / sounder.
- Concept Videos show you why.
- Demo videos show you how
- Inner Circle (optional extra)
This skill marks the difference between anglers that catch 80% of the fish and those that catch 20%
Sounder Skills 2 is wonderful in helping all fishermen alike. Applying little bits at a time has really changed the way I fish and see the image displayed, noting that this applies to all sounders is fantastic. You have do a fantastic job and thank you Ryan!
Can we get advice from Ryan directly?
YES! Although it is an optional extra. Pick Ryan's brain in our inner circle community, for less than the cost of a cup of coffee per week.
How it works?
Come out into the field with me, Ryan Moody, as I explain what settings I use and what I'm seeing as I travel along.
- Learn where fish are in relation to your boat so you can fish ON the fish!
- Simple comparisons and an easy to follow flowchart to understand what to use.
- Assessments in all water depths from shallow to deep
- Know when your sounder is lying to you without getting wet
We take a complicated topic with hundreds of variables and make it SIMPLE - based on 30 years of sonar experience.
Our members love
what we do
Thousands of members are catching more fish since they began to interpret their sounders accurately.
I've been using sounders since the paper chart Furunos and you think you have it all sussed. Sounder Skills 2 proved me wrong!
Sounder Skills 2 is terrific! The course has a practical focus and emphasis on the key points. It is very well-presented and the demonstration videos are excellent. Well done, Ryan!
This course was worth every cent!
WORKS WITH ANY FISH FINDER
This course is COMPATIBLE WITH ALL BRANDS as we explain what functions to use not what buttons to push.
This course is applicable in ALL AREAS AND GEOGRAPHIC LOCATIONS from fresh to salt water from the shallows to 100 m plus deep.
This course is APPLICABLE TO ALL UNITS as we also cover what to do on older units in the absence of side scan or down scan.
Great anglers find their own spots
Great anglers interpret their sounder ACCURATELY
YOU MUST GET MASTERY OVER YOUR FISH FINDER
No angler can be consistently successful without it
I learnt so much that can be applied to many fishing situations. I believe that with time, I will be able to use that knowledge to get more out of my sounder equipment. Great job! Very valuable resource.
I sincerely regret not doing Sounder Skills 2 earlier! I'd recommend doing the course before buying a unit so you don't buy the wrong one (like I've done, twice!). Sounder Skills 2 has taken out nearly all the guesswork over bottom substrates, which I have struggled with in the past. I would highly recommend Sounder Skills 2 especially to newish fishermen like myself, it's a must!
The entire course was informative. All useful information. I am confident Ryan knows what he is talking about and I have learnt much more in this course than I have been able to locate on the internet or lunder through myself. Great course. So glas I signed up!
COVERS DEPTHS FROM 1 METRE TO 400 METRES PLUS
My PB 90cm Nanny! I was so excited to land such a quality fish. I owe a huge thanks to Ryan Moody for putting his effort into his Sounder Skills courses. It’s saved me time and money, now I’m finding bigger and better fish closer to the boat ramp so thanks mate.
Sounder Skills 2 is definitely starting to pay dividends. Thanks, Ryan and team. I’ve gone from all the gear and no idea, to actually being able to use the sounder and find fish. I've still got a lot of learning to do but for now, coming home with a good feed makes it all worthwhile!
Mossy Point, NSW
I've done Sounder Skills 1 and Sounder Skills 2 and have learned some tricks that have already taken my fishing to the next level. Here is a nice Snapper I got on the first session after learning what I was looking at on sidescan. Thanks very much Ryan you legend
LEARN AT YOUR OWN PACE
- Over a few weeks or in an 6 hour binge.
- Anywhere you have internet connection.
- Mobile and Tablet friendly.
- Revisit and review for life.
- The entire program is available to you the moment you complete your registration
You’ll learn fish finding and sounder skills relating to what is happening under your boat that will serve you for life. Tried and tested PRACTICAL info.
EASY TO DIGEST
The program is delivered in video format with easy to follow, actionable steps for you to take.
OPTIONAL EXTRA - INNER CIRCLE
For the cost of ONE cup of coffee per week, ask questions, get clarity, yarn up with Ryan Moody and mix with like-minded anglers in our private community
**Subscription-based additional extra.
Read below to learn more about Inner Circle.
At first, I hesitated because of the price of Sounder Skills 2, but you can’t put a price on knowledge and experience. I really like how you explain it in theory, and then show it out on the water. Sounder Skills 2 has totally changed the way I view my sounder. I just want to say thank you Ryan for sharing your knowledge and experience with us.
Ryan Ford - Garmin
I hesitated before purchasing Sounder Skills 2 because I live in the United States and was not sure a course in Australia would be applicable. I was not sure that the price was going to be worth it also. I have been trying to learn how to effectively use a sounder for some time. And, I was thinking, “I wish I could take a course on how to use my fish finder”. And, lol and behold, I found Sounder Skills 2. I very much enjoyed the shallow water side-scan demonstrations. I also really enjoyed Ryan’s teaching style.
William Chudd - Garmin
I fish in SEQ and thought Sounder Skills 2 might be too specific to Nth Qld or Tropical species. I also fish in dams 80% of the time (Bass Fisherman), so wondered how applicable it might be to my fishing applications. I liked all of Sounder Skills 2, even the basics. Lots of good information in the course, even if experienced. Particularly interpretation of the more complex/smaller images and Down-Vu.
Wayne Staal - Lowrance
SOUNDER SKILLS 2 PROGRAM
There are 3 core training modules that contain simple to understand diagrams, underwater footage, in field demonstrations with real time narrations PLUS an easy to follow flow chart for deep, medium and shallow water.
After 30 years on the water chasing metre plus barra in the shallow, tiny bait fish on isolated structure and massive marlin off the shelf, Ryan Moody has seen and done it all. While people think of him as a master angler, the reality is he is a master of his marine electronics!
When you’re making an investment in your fishing, it's important to know what you are getting. That's why we share the entire curriculum with you - so you can make sure the program is right for you.
MODULE 1: USING SONAR WITH STRATEGY
Module 1 is all about strategy. It’s in Module 1 that you are introduced to the concepts required to understand and use your fish finder in the most efficient and productive way. The first thing we cover is the BIG PICTURE - using your unit for the right APPLICATION. Are you searching, assessing or observing. Then we look at the basic concepts that determine where in relation to your boat, are the fish or structure.
- The BIG PICTURE - Catching fish consistently is about a) search, b) assessment and c) observation in real time using sonar.
- The NEW age - CHIRP and SIDESCAN. How they work and how they fit into the big picture
- Frequency and power
- The illusion of fish arches
- Deep vs shallow applications - how they differ
- 3D considerations. Boat moving, fish moving, boat stationary, fish stationary, bottom texture.
- Our three modes - Traditional2D, Downview and Sidescan and how to interpret each.
1. Concept video: “The BIG PICTURE" introducing Ryan’s easy to follow framework for knowing what to use when.
2. Concept video: "Seeing Fish" - getting to know the different modes and frequencies and how to tell what is a fish and what is not.
3. Bonus in-field demo video: What happens when you turn?
4. Bonus in-field demo video: Shallow assessment comparison (DI and 2D)
5. Bonus in-field demo video: Frequency comparisons (SI 260/1200)
6. Bonus in-field demo video: Frequency comparisons (Traditional 2D: Low/Med/High)
7. Bonus in-field demo video: Deep search comparison (SI and 2D)
MODULE 2: SET UP AND TUNING
Module 2 is about getting the best picture. And by best picture I don't mean getting the prettiest cleanest blue on your screen. This not art class. It's getting the unit showing you a TRUE picture of what is down there based on simple criteria and a step-by-step approach. It will save you endless frustration fiddling with your set and less time fishing. Remember the key is to see fish when there ARE fish and to see big fish when they ARE big fish.
- Learn the main settings to get a picture that reflects what is actually there.
- Watch for key distinctions that tell you if you have your settings RIGHT.
- Learn what to look for (external cues) to help you tune your unit correctly. Remember when conditions change you'll need to tweak your settings.
- Traditional: gain, interference and palette. We show you what to look for... GOLD.
- Side image and Down View: Contrast and brightness.
- Range, Zoom, TVG.
- Get a good picture with example after example especially what to do in bad weather days (the only days we get to go fishing right?)
- No more guesswork! KNOW what your sounder is trying to say.
- Please note we DO NOT show you what buttons to push as there are too many brands and units. Use your manual to get to the functions explained in the course. Note also that some brands use different terminology for the same thing e.g gain and sensitivity.
1. Concept video: “Set up and tuning"
2. Bonus in-field demo video: “Shallow water set up (2D)
3. Bonus in-field demo video: “Shallow water set up (Down view)
4. Bonus in-field demo video: “Shallow water set up (Side scan)
5. Bonus in-field demo video: “Deep water set up (2D)
6. Bonus in-field demo video: “Deep water set up (Side image search)
7. Bonus video: “Transducer mounting guide"
MODULE 3: PRACTICAL USE
Module 3: Practical Use. This is the pointy end where all the hard work pays off. At the end of this module you’ll be able to:
- Assess an area for fish and decide if it's worth fishing
- Search an area for structure and assess that structure for "fish-ability"
- Determine where fish are in relation to the boat.
- Confidently anchor and fish "on the fish" even on small structure.
- Troubleshoot transducer issues
- Get your naming conventions right (keeping your marks tidy)
- Use your GPS in conjunction with your sounder to locate and fish on targets with pin point accuracy.
1. Concept video: “Practical Use
2. Bonus in-field demo video: “Assessing a creek junction"
3. Bonus in-field demo video: “Assessing a creek hole"
4. Bonus in-field demo video: “Assessing a reef"
5. Bonus in-field demo video: "Fishing on the fish (shallow)”
6. Bonus in-field demo video: "Fishing on the fish (offshore)”
7. Bonus in-field demo video: "Troubleshooting transducer issues”
8. Bonus in-field demo video: "Fishing on the Fish (300 metre plus)”
MODULE 4: SUBSCRIBERS ONLY INNER CIRCLE
Try it out for a month for only $1?
For personal answers from Ryan and our skilled Ambassadors, the Inner Circle is 1. Optional, 2. Subscription-based and charged monthly. You can unsubscribe at any time.
INNER CIRCLE consists of TWO components.
- INNER CIRCLE bonus videos including webinars, trip reports, answers to frequently asked questions, all added regularly to a bonus module (Module 4).
- INNER CIRCLE private Facebook group. Ryan and our Ambassadors are in here daily and we aim to answer your questions in a 24-hour turn around (sometimes it is immediate!) Post your screenshots, engage with other members. Don't get led up the garden path by so-called "techsperts" in forums and pages where it's hard to decipher great info with "fake news". Learn from Ryan and our Ambassadors. Master anglers that have long term runs on the board and fish in the boat!
Please note: this is an optional extra. In order to keep the cost of the course low, we have separated out our Inner Circle community and the main course because some people are not interested in the community aspect.
But for those that are, let me just say, this community is developing into the most amazing resource. As they say... A rising tide lifts all boats.
WHAT'S THE COMMUNITY LIKE?
Inner Circle Private Study Group Report
ABOUT RYAN MOODY
Ryan Moody started his fishing career on the reef boats before catching bucket list marlin for champion anglers, royalty and celebrities. Branching out in the late '80s to guided barramundi fishing, Ryan has made a name for himself as a Big Barramundi specialist and to date has put clients onto over 2000 metre-plus barra. With attitudes changing from 'keep all you can' towards catch and release, Ryan has decided to share his extensive knowledge and hopefully inspire people of all ages to get out from behind the computer screen/TV and into the fishing outdoors lifestyle he has spent his life perfecting. Click here to read more about Ryan
ABOUT FISH SMARTER
by Karen Rudkin-Moody
During Ryan's charter years he kept his secrets close to his heart (like most anglers do!). But with the death of a good friend, came the realization that he wants to leave a legacy. One of fishing with strategy, rather than relying on luck. Ryan has the experience & knowledge, and his marine biologist wife, Karen, has the ability to dissect it and put it together into easy, understandable lessons. Fish Smarter courses all are built around the philosophy of fishing smarter, not harder. Click here to learn more about Fish Smarter Courses. Click here to learn more about Fish Smarter Courses
The tuning in Sounder Skills 2 really helped me see fish better and alot clearer. I would highly recommend this course to anyone who uses a sounder!
I found Sounder Skills 2 very interesting. I learnt a lot about reading my sounder and finding fish. I found out I didn't have a clue, and you can still learn at 73 years old.
Sounder Skills 2 is a great course! The explanation of what setting to use in each situation is so important. The theory and in field examples make it easy to understand.
Sounder Skills 2 is a great course. I thought I knew a bit about my sounder until I started the course.
Ryan points out so much information, it's unbelievable!
I was impressed with each module and the depth they went into. I was also impressed with the way they were presented on screen and the way you explained each section of each module. I thought I could read a sounder in a competent manner, but you, Ryan Moody, astounded me, and I am glad it did. It has made me change my approach to finding fish.
Absolutely, the best money I have spend in a while. It is always good to be guided down the road by experienced people. Much better than trying to make do with a manual. Can't wait to get on the water tomorrow to try out what I have learnt.
Keep up the good work.
I've done Ryan Moody's Sounder Skills 2 online course, and it's certainly helped me! Here are some of the better fish from my last two trips. All from Moreton Bay. Cheers guys!!
I had hesitations about Sounder Skills 2 due to the large cost outlay, but all of the course it is very informative. I have looked on youtube and google for the information covered in this online fishing course and have not found anything even close to the information in this course. Absolutely brilliant!!
Ryan and Karen have delivered another masterpiece with Sounder Skills 2. Whether you are a beginner or advanced, Sounder Skills 2 is a must for anyone waiting to get the most out of their sounder units.
IS SOUNDER SKILLS RIGHT FOR YOU?
Over the years, we’ve listened to THOUSANDS of anglers who struggle interpreting their sounder correctly.
And there'd be millions more that don't even know they're doing it wrong (blaming fish stocks or not the right bite period instead).
Well… we created this course to handle those struggles.
We’re confident it can help if you’ve ever said anything like:
Or perhaps we should look at your investments in fishing thus far…
- Boat $15,000 - $40,000,
- $80 fuel per trip say 10 trips a year ($800),
- Boat rego and insurance ($600),
- Fishing combo $400 x 2 ($800),
- Lures $17 each and you probably have at least 20 ($340),
- Fishing magazine 5x$8 each ($40),
- Braid, hooks, line, cast net etc. ($200)
- Let’s not forget your electronics at $800 per unit min.
Seriously, you have probably spent in excess of $30,000 and will continue to spend $, without having the time to fully trial and test your methods!
THE BEST WAY TO MAKE THE MOST OF THOSE INVESTMENTS IS WITH KNOWLEDGE!
YOU COULD GO ON CHARTER AND GET A GUIDE TO HELP YOU OUT
But you’ll only learn about the conditions at that time
And they won't have a huge range of transducers on their boat to give you a broad overview.
Plus (and I don't mean to brag) but many charter operators don't even know this stuff.
Reality is, without a good understanding of what you seeing you'll never catch good fish consistently.
Especially in rough weather or as you go deeper.
So why not take a shortcut?
And use the information compiled by Ryan over years on the water.
It’s a no brainer really.
WORTH EVERY CENT! I have learnt to much from this course. Can't wait to put it into practice.
Thanks Ryan and Karen!
Very impressed at the level of detail and explanations given. I have never read/seen such comprehensive coverage in any book or online resource. I think Sounder Skills 2 is a great value for money course. Cleared up a lot of the misconception and confusion around using sounder effectively.
Thanks for sharing your knowledge with us and from what I have seen in your videos already, you have taught me so much on how to interpret what I'm seeing on my sidescan! I think from putting some of your knowledge to practice, I'm quite confident we may be more consistent with our catches. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge with us.
Ryan, I am in awe! This is an absolute game-changer. I have spent hours on Youtube, Lowrance sites and even spoken to reps and NO ONE has explained things, and pointed out practical use skills like this. I have gone over my old screenshots and can't believe the fish I have missed. Sounder Skills 2 is what every angler has been waiting for. Fantastic job guys!
As you subscribe to the kiss theory in Sounder Skills 2 it makes the course content easy to remember and understand. I particularly enjoyed the practical videos of Ryan putting the new skills demonstrated in the course into place. Cheers Ryan and Karen!
Desert Springs, NT
It took me about 8 months to sign up for Sounder Skills 2 - friends of mine had some for Ryan's courses and fishing alongside them last year, I could see they definitely had the advantage! Sounder Skills 2 is very comprehensive and gives a very good interpretation of your sounder. I absolutely love what I have seen so far, Sounder Skills 2 is very well put together.
You’re not the only one.
Here are our honest answers to some of the tough questions….
I’ve got great news. You have NOTHING to worry about. The module content for Sounder Skills 2 is all pre-recorded training videos. When you enroll in Sounder Skills 2 you get access to the content for the life of the course. There is no set time period to undertake the course.
You can go through the content again and again at your leisure and at your convenience for years to come. Better still you get access to any course upgrades at now additional cost.
So even if you have to put the course on pause, you can resume it whenever you like.
Sounder Skills 2 helped a lot, especially fine tuning the settings. We found some Spanish Mackerel on the sounder & my son Luke Neill caught the first 1. Thanks Ryan Moody!
I have been using sounders since they were paper charts and I believe that your Sounder Skills 2 course is invaluable! Well done team Moody.
I always thought I was good and experienced with reading sounders, especially side scan. But after watching Sounder Skills 2 I learnt a decent amount of stuff I wouldn’t easily think of. All in all Sounder Skills 2 was brilliant. To learn and properly understand why things work the way they do and when to best use them is priceless.